When Jesus Walks Into Your Storm
When Jesus Walks Into Your Storm
Scriptures (NLT)
Matthew 14:27
"But Jesus spoke to them at once. 'Don't be afraid,' he said. 'Take courage. I am here!'"
Jeremiah 30:18
"This is what the Lord says: 'When I bring Israel home again from captivity and restore their fortunes, Jerusalem will be rebuilt on its ruins, and the palace reconstructed as before.'"
Psalm 102:17
"He will listen to the prayers of the destitute. He will not reject their pleas."
Psalm 62:5
"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him."
1 Peter 5:7
"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
Proverbs 3:5–6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Ruth 1:16
"But Ruth replied, 'Don't ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.'"
When Jesus Walks Into Your Storm
What do you imagine the Sea of Galilee looked like in the middle of the night? Dark. Violent. Wind-driven. Waves crashing against a tiny fishing boat. It must have been terrifying.
Isn't that what our storms often feel like?
When the winds of life begin to howl, our natural instinct is to rely on our own understanding. We pace the floor. We calculate every possible outcome. We lie awake rehearsing conversations that haven't happened and trying to solve problems we cannot control.
Yet it is in the very center of our deepest anxieties that Jesus comes walking across the waves.
His words are just as powerful today as they were that night:
"Don't be afraid. Take courage. I am here!" (Matthew 14:27)
Fear grows when we focus on the height of the waves instead of the greatness of the One who walks on them.
I remember being about seven years old, riding in a small skiff with my parents as we headed out to dig clams. Without warning, a storm exploded around us. Huge waves rose on both sides of our little boat like towering walls of water. We couldn't see beyond them. I was terrified.
What frightened me even more was seeing fear in my father's eyes.
My dad was a tough man. Despite his struggles with alcohol, I had never seen him afraid. But the ocean was different. Years earlier, when he was only seven years old, he had watched his own father disappear beneath those same waters. They had been clamming when a sudden storm capsized their boat. My grandfather's heavy rubber boots filled with water, pulling him beneath the waves. My father survived only by clinging to the overturned boat until help arrived.
Now, at the very same age, I found myself wondering if history was about to repeat itself.
Then, just as suddenly as it had appeared, the storm passed. The wind settled. The waves calmed. Relief flooded every heart in that little boat.
Looking back now, I see something I couldn't understand then.
God was already teaching me that storms never have the final word.
To overcome fear, we must deliberately redirect our focus. Peter tells us to cast all our anxiety upon Him because He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7). Peace does not come because every problem disappears. Peace comes because Jesus is present in the middle of every storm.
The Posture of Silent Expectation
How do we actually hand our burdens to God?
By making a deliberate decision to stop striving and start trusting.
Psalm 62:5 says,
"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him."
Waiting on God is not passive. It is active faith.
When we wait only upon Him, we stop creating panic-driven backup plans. We stop trying to carry burdens that were never ours to carry.
Instead, we bring our broken hearts to the Father, knowing that "He will listen to the prayers of the destitute. He will not reject their pleas" (Psalm 102:17).
What beautiful comfort!
God never turns away the desperate. He draws near to them.
The Promise of Complete Restoration
God's goal is not simply to make us feel better.
His desire is to restore what has been broken.
When we stop leaning on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5–6), we make room for the Master Builder to begin His work.
Jeremiah records God's beautiful promise:
"When I bring Israel home again from captivity and restore their fortunes, Jerusalem will be rebuilt on its ruins."
That promise still echoes today.
What anxiety has torn down...
God can rebuild.
What grief has shattered...
God can restore.
What fear has stolen...
God can redeem.
I've lived this promise.
God took me from homelessness to becoming a homeowner—not because of anything I accomplished, but because of His incredible love, mercy, and grace. Looking back over my life, I can say with confidence that every step has been marked by His faithful hand. He truly specializes in rebuilding lives that the world believes are beyond repair.
The Covenant of Complete Surrender
This kind of trust is more than an emergency response during difficult seasons.
It becomes a lifelong covenant.
Ruth declared,
"Wherever you go, I will go... your God will be my God."
That is the heart of true surrender.
We don't follow Jesus only when life is easy.
We follow Him through every storm, every valley, every mountain, and every blessing.
When our hearts become fully committed to Him, He directs our paths, quiets our anxious hearts, rebuilds our broken places, and fills our lives with a peace the world cannot understand.
The Greek word for grace is charis (χάρις).
Charis means God's unmerited favor—His freely given love, mercy, and divine help that we could never earn.
It comes from the root word chairō, meaning to rejoice.
Grace is far more than God's kindness toward us. It is His transforming power working within us, enabling us to accomplish what we could never do in our own strength.
What a beautiful reminder that we never face life's storms alone.
Today, let God carry what is weighing you down.
Spend time with Him in His Word.
Pray.
Praise Him.
Sit quietly in His presence and listen.
You may be surprised how differently you see your circumstances when you remember who is walking on the waves.
This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!
I know I am grateful for everything God has done in my life, and I pray that one day you'll look back over your own journey and say the very same thing.
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for being the God who walks into our storms instead of watching from a distance. Forgive us for the times we have trusted our fears more than Your promises. Teach us to cast every burden upon You, knowing that You care deeply for us. Restore the places in our lives that have been torn down by fear, loss, disappointment, or sin. Help us to trust You with all our hearts and not lean on our own understanding. May we follow You with the unwavering devotion of Ruth, wherever You lead us. Fill us each day with Your amazing grace and Your perfect peace. We surrender everything into Your loving hands.
In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive our trespassers. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
BELIEVE. OBEY. BE BLESSED.
AMEN. BOBBA ❤️
Love, Penny 💛

Comments
Post a Comment