The God Who Carries and Sustains You
The God Who Carries and Sustains You
Psalm 145:3
"Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise! No one can measure his greatness."
Isaiah 46:4
"I will be your God throughout your lifetime—until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you."
John 10:28
"I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me."
1 Kings 5:4
"But now the Lord my God has given me peace on every side; I have no enemies, and all is well."
Romans 15:13
"I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."
Unfathomable God
Life changes. Seasons come and go. Our health changes. Finances rise and fall. Relationships experience joys and hardships. Yet through every change, one truth remains steadfast—God never changes.
David begins Psalm 145 by reminding us that God's greatness cannot even be measured. We spend our lives trying to understand Him, yet His wisdom, love, mercy, and power are beyond anything our human minds can fully comprehend. When our problems appear enormous, we must remember that our God is infinitely greater. Nothing surprises Him. Nothing intimidates Him. Nothing is beyond His ability to redeem.
Because He is so great, He makes an incredibly personal promise in Isaiah 46:4. He doesn't simply say He will watch over us from heaven. He says, "I will carry you."
What a comforting picture.
A loving father doesn't tell a weary child to keep walking when they're exhausted. He reaches down, lifts the child into his arms, and carries them home. That is exactly what our Heavenly Father does for us.
From the moment we drew our first breath until the day He welcomes us home, His promise never changes:
"I made you... I will carry you... I will sustain you... I will rescue you."
Our strength will fail. Our bodies will age. Our plans may unravel. But God's arms never grow weary.
Then Jesus gives us another beautiful promise.
"No one can snatch them away from Me." (John 10:28)
Think about that for a moment.
The same hands that stretched across the cross for our salvation are the very hands that now hold us securely. Our salvation is not resting in our grip on God—it rests in His perfect grip on us. There is incredible peace in knowing that even when our faith feels weak, His faithfulness never wavers.
That truth quiets anxious hearts.
It allows us to echo King Solomon's words:
"The Lord my God has given me peace on every side."
Peace is not the absence of storms.
Peace is the presence of Jesus in the middle of them.
Healing the Generational Wounds
Ross and I often look back and wonder how we made it through some of the chapters of our lives.
For Ross, survival looked like watching his mother somehow stretch one dollar to feed seven hungry children. Pancakes became more than a meal—they became proof that love finds a way, even when resources seem impossible.
For me, childhood was marked by fear. My father's alcoholism filled our home with uncertainty. My mother's constant anxiety weighed heavily on us all. I still remember one bitter winter when asking for a pair of boots was met with anger instead of compassion.
Those experiences leave deep marks on a heart.
When you grow up with fear, neglect, or instability, you often spend your adult life waiting for the next crisis. You become accustomed to bracing yourself for impact.
But God specializes in breaking cycles.
Isaiah's promise speaks directly into lives like ours:
"I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you."
God carried Ross's mother through years of impossible circumstances.
He carried my mother through anxiety and heartache.
He carried both of us through seasons we never thought we would survive.
Looking back now, I realize there were countless moments when I thought I was walking alone. Yet every step I took was actually supported by unseen hands.
Jesus offers something no broken earthly parent ever could—perfect security.
"No one can snatch them away from Me."
Human parents sometimes fail.
Human beings disappoint.
Life wounds.
But our Heavenly Father never lets go.
Today, Ross and I are living proof that God restores what pain tries to destroy. We are not defined by poverty, abuse, fear, or broken family histories. We are defined by God's grace.
Has every problem disappeared?
No.
Our current circumstances can still feel overwhelming at times. Look at the problems we had getting the jeep heeping again. There are days when uncertainty knocks loudly at our door. Yet those moments no longer define our future because we've learned that the God who carried us through yesterday will faithfully carry us through today. We sang walking to church in the rain one day, while waiting on the jeep!
The cycles of fear, violence, addiction, and hopelessness stop at the feet of Jesus.
They do not get the final word.
Christ does.
That is why I can honestly say—even in this present season—I believe with all my heart that God is carrying us.
He has never failed us.
He never will.
Our story doesn't say, "Life was easy." It says, "God was faithful."
Heavenly Father,
Thank You for being the God who carries us when we no longer have strength to walk. Thank You for holding us securely in Your hands and for promising never to leave us or forsake us.
Lord, many of us carry wounds from childhood, painful memories, broken relationships, disappointments, and fears about tomorrow. Today we place every burden into Your loving hands. Heal what still hurts. Restore what has been broken. Replace fear with faith and anxiety with Your perfect peace.
Thank You for carrying Ross and me through every difficult season of our lives. We know that You are still carrying us today, and because of that, we choose hope over fear. Help us to trust You completely, even when we cannot see what lies ahead.
May our lives point others to Your unfailing love and remind them that no one is beyond Your reach and no burden is too heavy for You to bear.
In Jesus' precious name,
Amen.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive our trespassers.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.
Amen.
BELIEVE. OBEY. BE BLESSED.
AMEN. BOBBA. ❤️
Love, Penny 💛
#Godisgood #faith #devotional

Comments
Post a Comment