Treasures in Clay Jars
📖 Scripture Readings (NLT)
Acts 4:11
"For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says, 'The stone that you builders rejected has now become the cornerstone.'"
2 Corinthians 4:7
"We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves."
Psalm 126:5
"Those who plant in tears will harvest with shouts of joy."
Psalm 119:60
"I will hurry, without delay, to obey your commands."
Matthew 20:26
"But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant..."
Psalm 34:8
"Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!"
Romans 8:38–39
"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Treasure in Clay Jars: Grounded in Christ
Life often shifts like sand beneath our feet. When our circumstances are shaky, we must remember our baseline security.
In ancient architecture, the cornerstone was the ultimate reference point. If it was off by even a millimeter, the entire building would crumble. The New Testament writers used the Greek word ἀκρογωνιαῖος (akrogōniaios), which means "foundation-stone" or "the chief cornerstone." Though the world may reject His standards, Jesus is the absolute anchor of our lives. When we align our choices with Him, our foundations remain completely unshakable.
🏺 The Reality: Weak Vessels, Infinite Power
Believing in Jesus does not mean we will never face trials or feel exhausted. In fact, our human limitations are exactly where His strength becomes visible.
The Greek word used for "clay jars" in 2 Corinthians 4:7 is ὀστράκινος (ostrakinos), referring to brittle, inexpensive, everyday earthenware. In biblical times, people did not hide their gold in beautiful chests; they hid it inside cheap, ordinary clay pots to deter thieves. You and I are those fragile clay pots. We crack, we wear down, and we leak. Yet, God chooses to put the priceless treasure of His Holy Spirit inside us. Your weakness is not a failure; it is the perfect canvas for His power.
😭 The Process: Sowing with Urgency
Because we are fragile, we will experience seasons of deep pain, but those seasons are never purposeless.
When we are hurting, our immediate instinct is to stall, question, or freeze. The Hebrew text offers a beautiful remedy in Psalm 119:60 using the verb חוּשׁ (chush), which means "to hasten, act quickly, or flee to a refuge." Instead of letting sorrow paralyze us, we are called to immediately run into obedience. The tears you cry while doing the right thing are actually seeds. You are sowing into a future harvest of joy.
🤝 The Call: Greatness Through Service
As we anchor ourselves in Christ, the way we treat the people around us changes fundamentally.
The world teaches us to climb over others to achieve status. Jesus completely flips this concept upside down. He uses the Greek word διάκονος (diakonos), meaning a servant, waiter, or someone who ministers to the needs of others. True kingdom greatness is not found in how many people serve you, but in how many people you willingly choose to serve.
🕊️ The Assurance: Taste and See His Safe Love
When you step out in fragile obedience to serve others, you will begin to experience the tangible reality of God's goodness.
In Psalm 34:8, the Hebrew word for "taste" is טָעַם (ta'am), which means to actively perceive, evaluate, and experience something firsthand. God does not want you to just intellectually know about Him; He wants you to experience Him. When you take that leap of faith, you discover the ultimate truth: His love is an unbreakable safety net. Nothing in heaven, on earth, or in your past can ever pull you out of His hands.
📝 Reflection Questions
- The Cornerstone (Akrogōniaios) Scripture: Acts 4:11 If someone looked at your calendar, your finances, or your thought life this past week, what would they say is the actual "reference point" or chief cornerstone of your life? Is there any area where you are building on shifting sand rather than the solid foundation of Christ?
- The Clay Jar (Ostrakinos) Scripture: 2 Corinthians 4:7 Where do you currently feel the most fragile, broken, or exhausted (your "cracks")? How can you shift your mindset from trying to hide that weakness to allowing God's extraordinary inner power to shine through it?
- The Urgent Run (Chush) & The Servant (Diakonos) Scripture: Psalm 119:60 & Matthew 20:26 When you face sorrow or frustration, is your instinct to pull back and freeze, or do you quickly run (chush) toward God's commands? Who is one specific person in your life right now whom you can choose to serve (diakonos) this week, even if you are carrying your own heavy burdens?
- The Personal Experience (Ta'am) Scripture: Psalm 34:8 Are you currently relying on past experiences or other people's testimonies to know God, or are you actively tasting (ta'am) His goodness for yourself today? What is one practical step you can take tomorrow to experience His presence firsthand?
💡 Personal Testimony: Surrendering the Clay Jar
I personally struggle with finances. Ross is not interested in finances. We have never been rich or even middle class, but I have always worked hard and been able to pull it all together. I once worked 36 to 48 hours on the third shift in the ICU, and then on my days off, I worked 30 hours for a call center. My pay was always in the higher range for my job because I am dedicated and very hard-working.
If we had an unexpected bill come up, I just requested more hours and took care of it. If I wanted something, I worked for it.
Being retired is tough. An income of $2,150 a month for two people, 18 cats, and 3 small dogs seems impossible. I can do the month-to-month budgeting, but it is the constant surprises that I cannot manage, nor can I figure out how to pay both heat and electricity in the winter.
So today, I realize this devotion is meant for me! Thank You, God!
I really dislike the 1st of the month and this last week. On the 1st, I have to pay all that I can, but I need to leave enough to get through, and it never works out right. Before retirement, I made pretty good money—about $3,000 a month—and Ross got $1,000. We lived within our budget. Now that we are both retired, I get $850 a month, and if I pick up even one hour of work, I will lose my medical insurance because I am only 64. Next year, I will at least have Medicare (if they don't take that away) and perhaps could work a little to help.
For now, my goal is to trust God, pray deeply over what to pay and what to buy. I realize it is not the end of the world, but I am used to giving more and receiving less from others! I enjoy giving and doing for others, and I miss being able to do that.
But I am learning that there is nothing in our lives that we need to carry alone; God wants to be a part of every aspect of our lives. I have given God everything... except my finances. I hold on to them like my life depends on every decision, because honestly, it feels like it does! The truth is, I need to let go and let God. I need to spend time in prayer and silence and let God help guide me, even in our finances. Amen!
Lord Jesus, You are my akrogōniaios, my firm foundation stone. I acknowledge that I am just an ostrakinos—a fragile clay jar prone to cracking. But today, I thank You that Your extraordinary power shines through my broken pieces.
When tears fall, help me to chush, rushing quickly into Your Word and Your will. Teach me to be a diakonos who serves others with humility. I step out in faith today to ta'am—to taste, see, and experience Your undeniable goodness. Thank You that absolutely nothing can separate me from Your love.
Amen.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come,
Your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we also have forgiven our trespassers.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
Amen.
BELIEVE, OBEY, BE BLESSED AMEN
BOBBA ❤️
Love, Penny 💛

Comments
Post a Comment